19 March 2009

Fham (aka Fake Ham)



I'm one of the possibly 5 people in the world who actually likes tofu. I wouldn't choose it over, say, chocolate, but it's ok. Some of the commercial baked and smoked varieties are downright good. I have not had much luck duplicating the baked flavored and smoked tofu, so when I discovered seitan, it filled me with new hope. Here was a product in the store that, supposedly, I could duplicate at home.

All the seitan recipes I found produced pretty decent seitan by simmering the 'dough' in flavored liquids for an hour. I mostly used the recipe from Veganomicon. A few times, however, the texture wasn't quite right. So, I started simmering the seitan for a while and then baking it for a while. The texture got better, but as I was experimenting, I found this posting on Post Punk Kitchen, called Seitan O' Greatness.

I tried the recipe and, although I didn't particularly like the flavor, I loved the texture. And it was sooooo easy to make. So, I started using the basic concept of baking, but developing my own flavors. A few of them might get posted here, and we'll start with Fake Ham Seitan. Tae insists that I call fake bacon 'facon', so I'm guessing she'll complain unless I call this one:

Fham (aka Fake Ham)

dry:
1 1/2 tsp hickory smoke powder (NOT hickory salt)
3/4 c gluten
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp roasted garlic granules (or garlic powder)

wet:
3 oz water
1 1/2 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp maple syrup

Preheat oven to 325F.

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
Add wet to dry and mix well until all is damp.
Knead by hand for a minute or two. (I knead 60 times because I find that easier than timing it)
When the 'dough' is firm and not grainy, roll it into a log about 6-8 inches long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
Wrap in parchment paper. (You can wrap it snugly, but it doesn't need to be tight)
Then wrap again in aluminum foil. (Again, snug is good enough)

Bake on the oven rack for 50 minutes.
Remove from the oven, unwrap and cool on a wire rack.
When totally cool, wrap in plastic and refrigerate

Notes:
Slice thinly and pan fry for a more bacon-like product.
If you aren't a fan of salty ham, leave out the tsp of salt.
I bought my hickory smoke powder from AmericanSpice.com and was pretty happy with the delivery and the product.

2 comments:

  1. buy bulk indian spices from here vyomovers.com vyomovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exquisite article! Your post is very helpful right now. Thank you for sharing this informative one. wholesale spices or pulses online

    ReplyDelete