19 July 2009
Baked Burrito with Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa
1.5 pounds small red potatoes
1 Tbs oil, divided
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp hickory smoke powder
1/4 c chopped onion
handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
2-3 mild chiles, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 15oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, partially drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp agave or honey
2 cups cooked black beans
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano (preferable Mexican oregano)
8 flour tortillas
1 c shredded cheese (optional; vegans should use vegan 'cheese' or omit)
optional: 1 recipe tomatillo guacamole (see our 21 June 2009 blog for recipe)
Preheat oven to 375F.
1) Wash red potatoes and cut into chunks about 1/4 inch each.
2) Preheat cast iron skillet on medium-low heat
3) Toss potato chunks with half the oil. Add the other half of the oil to the skillet.
4) Cook potatoes in skillet, turning once when browned on one side.
5) While potatoes cook, toss the ingredients from onion through honey/ agave in a small bowl. Set aside.
6) When potatoes are cooked, toss with sea salt and hickory powder. Set aside.
7) In a bowl, toss potatoes and beans with cumin and oregano
8) Heat tortillas in microwave in a pile between paper towels, about 1 minute
9) Spray a cookie sheet with canola cooking spray
10) Lay out a tortilla and add about 1/2 cup of the bean mixture. Fold over sides, then fold under ends. Place seam side down on cookie sheet. Repeat until all tortillas are used.
11) Sprinkle burritos with shredded cheese, if desired.
12) Spray burritos with canola cooking spray.
13) Bake burritos about 15 minutes until heated through and cheese is well melted.
14) If using cheese: Place about 1/4 c salsa on the plate and serve burrito over it. Drizzle with tomatillo guacamole, if desired.
If NOT using cheese: drizzle the tomato salsa over the top and serve.
Serve with tomatillo guacamole and chips on the side.